Clashes mark Wani's death anniversary amid security lockdown in Valley

Wani, an icon of the freedom movement in held Kashmir, was killed by the Indian troops on July 8 a year ago, leading to a surge in the calls for separation.

Almost 100 people died in the months that followed and many more were seriously injured in the eye from the pellet guns used to quell the protests. Besides state police forces and personnel deployed to fight militancy, almost 21,000 additional central paramilitary troops have been deployed in the Valley, The Indian Express reported on Thursday.

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh yesterday chaired a high-level meeting to review the security scenario in Jammu and Kashmir ahead of Wani's first death anniversary on Saturday.

Separatist leaders Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik have called for a complete shutdown on July 8 and asked people to reach Tral, the native town of Burhan, where they plan to address a huge gathering jointly.

As a precautionary measure, the state administration has either placed all separatist leaders under house arrest or taken them into preventive custody.

Clashes between the protesters and the Indian forces broke out in South Kashmir's town of Shopain on Saturday after forces fired pellets to break up a demonstration in the area.

Record Number of Americans Employed in June
The mining sector added 8,000 jobs in June, adding to a total of 56,000 new jobs since reaching a recent low point in October 2016.

Over 21,000 security personnel deployed for yatra duty were today deployed for law and order duty in south Kashmir and other parts of the Valley, a police official said.

While the 2G mobile internet services were restored during the night, the high-speed (3G and 4G) internet services were restored this evening. "(Mere bas mein hota toh Burhan Wani ko zinda rakhta aur unse dialogue karta)", Soz was quoted as saying by ANI.

The train services between Banihal and Baramulla in Kashmir also remained suspended for second consecutive day today, the police official said. Stone pelting and minor clashes were witnessed at several places.

Almost 20 persons, including five women, were injured when forces fired pellets at protesters in areas of Shopian.

The security forces and intelligence agencies are apprehending trouble in the Kashmir Valley on Wani's death anniversary.

APHC General Secretary Shabbir Ahmad Shah at a meeting of Democratic Freedom Party at his Sanat Nagar residence in Srinagar, today, announced the posthumous title "Tamgha-e-Jurrat" for martyr Burhan Wani for his courage, steadfastness and enormous contribution to the Kashmir freedom movement.

Related Articles